Born 1973 in Port Harcourt, Nigeria. He is of Ibibio descent in the South South geo-political zone in Nigeria. He has participated, developed , implemented and facilitated various art and community development projects. He has exhibited extensively, locally and internationally and his works are private and public collections across the world. He studied Art and Design, Fine and Applied Arts(HND)
My works seeks to interrogate and bring to the fore our inner consciousness that we have or not harnessed to influence our society.
My work has evolved from two dimensional presentations in pen, ink, water colour , oils and acrylic presentations of sites, events, objects, emotions and thoughts to experimentations into common materials. In turn my colours, material and the theme in my recent works have equally changed to reflect and encompass our society’s present state, my experiences and the thinking that I wish to provoke.
In my recent body of work, I have focused on the exploration into the use and combination of common materials such as Clay, leather, fabric, skin, Perspex, metal, glass fibre, etc. These stretches across painting, sculpture, installation and site specific.
My work addresses gender roles, social injustices – xenophobia, racism, exclusion, domestic violence and the dangers that underpins the African society.
April Solo – Ron Belling Art Gallery,Port Elizabeth, South Africa
September: Group – The Bridge To Chicago , Gallery Guichard, Chicago, ILL, USA.
- June: Group – 208 Eastern Cape Artists, Athenaeum Building, Port Elizabeth, South Africa.
- March: Group – Re-sponse 2– William Humphrey National Art Gallery, Kimberly, South Africa.
- October : Group – Re-sponse , Nelson Mandela Metropolitan Art Museum, South Africa
- June: Group, Carol Craven Gallery, Massachusetts, U. S. A.
- May : Solo: In Living Memory, Red Location Museum, Port Elizabeth, South Africa
- August : Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University Diversity Week Exhibition, South Africa
- July : Group – Renaissance – EPSAC Gallery, Port Elizabeth, South Africa
- November: Solo: The Portfolio, Alliance Francaise, Port Elizabeth, South Africa
- August : Group-Carol Craven Gallery , Massachusetts , USA
- August : Group- E.P.S.A.C 90th Anniversary Exhibition. Port Elizabeth, South Africa
- June ; Group – Beacons – Khune Boekoi Fine Arts Gallery, Port Elizabeth, South Africa
- April : Solo: Identity -Gerard Sekoto Gallery, Alliance Francaise. Johannesburg.
- November : Solo: Dialogue – Upstairs@Bamboo, Johannesburg
- June : Group – 1m x 1m -Cuyler street Gallery, Port Elizabeth, South Africa
- May : Studio Exhibition : Metamorphosis, Port Elizabeth, South Africa
- April : Solo: Au commencement -Alliance Francaise, Johannesburg
- November : Group- E.P.S.A.C Art Gallery , Port Elizabeth, South Africa
- October : Group – Transition -Red Location Museum , Port Elizabeth, South Africa
- April : Two Man Show- Pace -Cuyler Street Gallery, Port Elizabeth, South Africa
- August : Group – Bare Exhibition -Khune Boekooi Fine Art Gallery , Port Elizabeth
- July : Solo :- Khune Boekooi Fine Art Gallery , Port Elizabeth
- April : Group – Art Expo – Walmer Park , Port Elizabeth
- September : Solo Exhibition- Home & Décor Expo Centre , Port Elizabeth
- May : Group- Amandla, Reflections of South Africa – Joysmith Gallery, Memphis ,TN, USA
- February : Group- Fusion – Akwa Ibom State , Nigeria
2010 Coordinator –
- Telling Our Story 2010 public art project sponsored by the National Lotto Fund(NDLTF).
- Beneficiary: Sydenham Primary School, Sydenham, Port Elizabeth.
- Mentor, Menthes/Mentors recruitment, Project Material Development
2009 Vice Chairman –
Eastern Province Society for Arts and Crafts(EPSAC),
2008-2010 Regional Coordinator –
- Eastern Cape – Speir Contemporary 2010,South Africa’s Largest national art competition
- Marketing, photographing and documenting artists, Museums Art Galleries and Community art centres across the Eastern Cape.
- NEWNOWNEXT project(Emerging Artists development, Marketing, Exposure and Mentorship) Assisted by B.A.S.A.
- Project Development, Identification of exhibition venues, identification of Artists, Workshops Coordinator and sourcing for sponsors
2008 Regional Selector –
- ABSA Atelier – South Africa’s annual visual arts award.
- Member of the Eastern Cape selection panel
National Heritage Project in Partnership with the Eastern Cape Department of Education
Street Art-H.I.V. awareness campaign (World AIDS Day), New Brighton , Port Elizabeth
2006 Facilitator –
Flag making workshop in commemoration of Heritage Day, Red Location Museum, Port Elizabeth
Initiator/ coordinator –
- Transition Exhibition(A collective of artists from diverse Backgrounds)A traveling exhibition that toured the previously disadvantaged neighborhoods in the Nelson Mandela Bay, South Africa
- Project Development, sourcing for sponsorship, coordination
- Re.sponse( ISBN 978-1-920176-82-2) – Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
- Art & Artists of the Eastern Cape, 2011 – Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality
- Spier Contemporary 2010 (ISBN 978-0-620-46056-9)